If at all possible,find yourself some FRESH oregano. It will make a world of difference. I know they have it at Hannaford in Modena (MY Hannaford!), in little packages in the produce department, but they probably have it at other markets, as well.
2 Tbl olive oil
8 skinned chicken thighs, bone in
Salt & pepper
1/2 cup low-sodium non-fat chicken broth
1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
1 tsp. chopped fresh oregano (or 1/2 tsp dried oregano, if you must)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Thinly slice half of one of the lemons, discarding the seeds. Squeeze the juice from the remaining lemon and a half into a small bowl, and set aside.
- Heat a large ovenproof skillet on top of the stove. Add the oil, swirling to coat the pan. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper and add it to the pan. Cook 4 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned. Place lemon slices in the pan around the chicken.
- Put the chicken in the oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until done. Remove chicken from pan and set aside, keeping warm.
- Return pan to stove. Never forget that the handle is HOT from being in the oven. Add wine, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Stir in broth and lemon juice. Season to taste. If using dried oregano, stir it in now. Cook 1 minute, adding more broth, if necessary, to make a sauce. If using fresh oregano, stir it in just before serving..
Serve over 1/2 cup of delicious cooked whole grain, such as quinoa, farro, or brown rice.
Per serving (2 thighs over 1/2 cup grain): Calories 332, fat 16.8 g (4.2g sat), protein 39g, fiber 1g, sodium 474mg, calcium 25mg.
Click here to access the full Trim-Up Healthy Weight blog.